Saturday, January 22, 2011

Satan's Pattern

Day Twenty-two

Today I am hoping to spend some quality time with my family.  We will work together to finish up the chores, do some service, and make some time for fun.  So my prayers this morning are focused on strengthening my family.  I pray for protection, a good Spirit in our home, and opportunities to teach and learn from each other.

My scripture study is in Sections 122 and 123.  These sections are still part of the letters the Prophet wrote from Liberty Jail.  So I knew I would find some good stuff.

Section 122 has some good information about why there is suffering?  I love the end of verse 7, "...know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."  There is some good self-talk phrases in there, "This is for my own good!" or "Think of the experience!"

As always the Lord lets us know that we don't have to go through it alone:
v 4 - "...and thy God shall stand by thee forever and ever."
v 9 - "...therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

But it was a verse in Section 123 that really got me thinking this morning:

123:7 - "...under the most damning hand of murder, tyranny, and oppression, supported and urged on and upheld by the influence of that spirit which hath so strongly riveted the creeds of the fathers, who have inherited lies, upon the hearts of the children, and filled the world with confusion, and has been growing stronger and stronger..."

Just as the Lord reveals to us his patterns, here he is revealing to us Satan's pattern: Influence the hearts of the children.  Plant the seeds in the young, the rising generation, and bring a kingdom down.

I found it interesting that in Section 122 he talks about how our trials give us experiences that are for our own good, and in the next section we see that these same experiences, if not recognized for their good, can be, through the craftiness of men, used to influence us in a negative way.  I can see this pattern throughout all the scriptures and dispensations.  Satan uses it because it works!

The Lord uses the phrase "it is an imperative duty" when talking about how to fight Satan's pattern.  I feel a sense of urgency in His message. Thinking of the condition of our world today and the influences the youth are bombarded with, I would agree there is no time to waste.

What is our duty?  He makes it clear in verse 17: "...let us cheerfully do all things in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

Satan has a strong hold on the world, his influence is found everywhere, but the situation is not hopeless.  Knowing what Satan's pattern is gives us the opportunity to fight back.  So here is to carrying on the fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment