Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Lesson About Blessings

Day twenty-three

I am thankful for the Sabbath day and the opportunity to take the sacrament.  It is important to me to start my week remembering the Savior and getting my priorities in order.  So my prayers this morning were focused on gratitude for the Savior and a request to help me recognize the things that will be important this week.

My scripture study took me to Section 124.  This section includes verses directed to John C Bennett (v16-17).  This name sounded familiar, it turns out that John C. Bennett would become an enemy of the Church at a later time.  I started to wonder why the Lord would choose John C. Bennett to be a trusted assistant of Joseph.  I learned a good lesson from this:

Part 1: The Lord does not withhold present blessings because of future sinful behavior.

At the time of the revelation he was a good man and was entitled to the blessings.

Part 2:   As long as one obeys, the blessings come.

Bennett would give in to adulterous thoughts and therefore would later be excommunicated, losing his right to the blessings. 

Part 3:  The Lord always warns us.

The Lord had even warned Bennett in these verses with 'if' statements:
v16 "and his reward shall not fail if he receive counsel."
v 17 "And for his love he shall be great, for he shall be mine if he do this..."
        "I have seen the work which he hath done, which I accept if he continue..."

I am touched by the love the Lord shows in this story.  He believes in us, in what we can be, not just what we are now.  He is always hoping that we will do the right thing and blesses us when we do.  He knows that we are not perfect and provides us with warnings and direction to help us.  He always allows us to use our agency and makes sure that the consequences are laid out before us.  I cannot think of a more perfect system. 

I think I need to go back and look at the 'if's' in my life and make sure I have my priorities in line.  I can use all the blessings He is willing to give me!

No comments:

Post a Comment