Monday, January 24, 2011

It's all in the Attitude

Day twenty-four

I am a little tired this morning, I had one of those late-night, deep conversations with my boys last night.  I love those moments and cherish them, because I know that soon they will leave and so will those opportunities to stay up and talk.  I am so grateful for the relationship I have with them and for the fact that they still desire to spend time with me. 

My prayer was filled with gratitude for those special moments and also a plea that the Lord would bless them and let them know that He loves them.  And as they face the trials and decisions that are a part of their lives, that they might seek the Spirit for guidance and have the courage and wisdom to follow it.

In the scriptures I chose to study Sections 125-128.  It would be in Section 127 verse 2 that my mind started pondering.

127:2 - "And as for the perils which I am called to pass through, they seem but a small thing to me, as the envy and wrath of man have been my common lot all the days of my life; and for what cause it seems mysterious, unless I was ordained from before the foundation of the world for some good end, or bad, as you may choose to call it. Judge ye for yourselves. God knoweth all these things, whether it be good or bad. But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in. It all has become a second nature to me; and I feel, like Paul, to glory in tribulation; for to this day has the God of my fathers delivered me out of them all, and will deliver me from henceforth; for behold, and lo, I shall triumph over all my enemies, for the Lord God hath spoken it."

As I read that verse I began thinking to myself, What is my attitude towards the trials in my life? Do I look at my trials as small things or blow them into something bigger than they are? My attitude  is not always what it should be, but it is getting better. There are two quotes that come to mind when I think about my trials.  They help me keep my attitude in check.

Positive thinking won't let you do anything, but it will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.~Zig Ziglar

In the long run, the pessimist may be proved right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!~Daniel L. Reardon

It appears that the Prophet agrees. In Doctrine and Covenants 128:22 he says, "Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing..."

These are definitely the words of an optimist, filled with encouragement, during a very trying time.  I would like to follow that example and check my attitude today.  I resolve to keep a good attitude no matter what comes my way and to help others do the same!  Besides, who doesn't want to have a better time on this trip!

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting how your blog and comments seem to be running parallel to the concerns and struggles I am having. Just yesterday I was wondering how I can possibly be happy with the burdens in my life. I know that God wants us to be happy but...I struggle to find my own happiness. Your blog is full of words to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one to tell me that! You are not alone in your burdens, we are all going through something. It is one of the blessings that writing this blog has helped me to see. I'm just grateful that I can share what I am learning with others in hopes that it helps them too. Hang in there, we have to stick together and help each other through it!

    ReplyDelete