Friday, January 21, 2011

Having a Constant Companion

Day twenty-one

I have to admit I was really looking forward to my scripture study today.  I would be studying one of my favorite sections of the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 121.  I have read the words in this section many times, but I can't remember a time when I really studied it from the first verse to the last.  I was excited to find out what the Lord would teach me today.

My morning prayer was focused on preparing to be taught, letting the Spirit guide me, and applying what I would learn. 

There are many lessons to be learned in this section, too many for me to talk about in this blog.  I would like to share some thoughts on verse 26.

"God shall give unto you knowledge by his Holy Spirit, yea, by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost..."

Have you ever been around someone that just beams with the Spirit?  There is something about them that makes you feel at peace and comfortable.  You feel that you can trust them and you find yourself seeking their advice.  These are the few that seem to have the blessing found in verse 46, "The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion..."

I have always wanted to be that type of person.  These are the people who follow "the virtue of persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; by kindness, and pure knowledge,...without hypocrisy, and without guile."

We are told that to become this person we must endure well and valiantly in this life.  This is the part that slows me down.  Endure means to suffer (something painful or difficult) patiently.  How long a time period has to go by before you reach the "endure" state?  Does anybody know?  My guess is it's a lifetime.

So my quest to be the person that has the Holy Ghost as a constant companion goes on.  The Lord has given me the direction, it is up to me to use it wisely.  Maybe the fact that I recognize these things means I'm one step closer to my goal!



 

1 comment:

  1. A topic near & dear to my heart. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete