Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weighty Matters

Day twenty

I am feeling very blessed this week.  The Lord is actively participating in my life and I am recognizing His hand in my daily activities. Even the things that might be deemed as insignificant to others have special meaning to me, like walking to get the mail with my sons.  We have some great, short-but-sweet, meaningful conversations during the mile and a half walk.  So my prayer this morning was again filled with gratitude, reflecting my desire to let the Lord know how much I love Him.

Again I approached my scripture study with no real plan, just wanting to learn and let the Lord guide the direction.  I read through Sections 113-120 marking those verses that I found interesting and writing my notes in the margins.  There was one verse in Section 117 that I felt I needed to investigate more.

117:8 - "Is there not room enough on the mountains of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and on the plains of Olaha Shinehah, or the land where Adam dwelt, that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?"
          
I went straight to the meaty part, "that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?"

I understood the 'covet that which is but the drop' part: Focusing on just a tiny part of the whole picture.  I wanted to know more about the weighty matters.  What are the weighty matters of our time?

In my search I came across a quote from Eliza R. Snow:  "As the Saints drank in the love and spirit of the world, the Spirit of the Lord withdrew from their hearts, and they were filled with pride and hatred toward those who maintained their integrity." 

This quote was written about the 1830's, yet it could have been written for our time!  It is sad that we are in the year 2011 and we find ourselves in the same condition.

Dallin H. Oaks gave a talk titled "Weightier Matters" which was published in the Jan 2001, Ensign.  He states, "The weightier matters that move us toward our goal of eternal life are love of God, obedience to His commandments, and unity in accomplishing the work of His Church."

Elder John B. Dickson writes, "Our children must be taught that the "more weighty matters" help them qualify for and ultimately enjoy eternal blessings."  He then lists the following items: the gospel of Jesus Christ, His Atonement, the family, the priesthood, Christlike attributes, knowledge, and the gospel ordinances and covenants.

It becomes obvious that the battle is worldly - vs - weighty matters (those things that build up the Kingdom of God).  So, how do we stay focused on the the weighty matters?

I think Jacob says it best. 
Jacob 2:17-19, "Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you."
   "But before ye seek riches, seek ye for the Kingdom of God."
   "And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good -- to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and afflicted."

I can't top that, so I will just end with an Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment