Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Power of Words

Day twenty-seven

I had the opportunity to teach seminary this morning so my prayers were focused on the needs of the youth.  I think about all the challenges they are facing and all the choices they have to make and I know that they need to have the Spirit with them in order to survive.  So I prayed that they would have a desire to have the Spirit in their lives, that they might remember what the Spirit feels like, and that they might actively seek for it.

My scripture study was in Sections 134-136. 

I enjoyed reading Section 134 about governments, the words in this section are a great reminder of how precious our rights are.  You can't help but feel like you need and want to make sure that these rights are always respected.

Section 135 is about the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith.  There is a sadness in this section, but also a feeling of gratitude for the sacrifice that they made.  The words in this section really strengthen my testimony of the Prophet.

Section 136 is about organizing the Camp of Israel and the gospel standards expected of the Saints. It would be in verse 23 that I would find my topic for today.

136:23 "Cease to contend one with another; cease to speak evil one of another." 

This verse really got me thinking about the power of words.  The words in the previous sections had stirred up strong feelings for the good, but this verse reminded me that words can also stir up feelings of pain and hurt. The footnotes in this verse are really good:

Proverbs 17:14 "The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with."

2 Timothy 2:24 "And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,..."

3 Nephi 11:29 "For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another"

D&C 20:54 "And see that there is no iniquity in the church, neither hardness with each other, neither lying, backbiting, nor evil speaking;"

This has obviously been a problem for a long time since it is referenced in all four books! It reminds me of a quote I once heard that stuck with me:

"A sharp tongue can cut your own throat." ~Unknown

 On the flip side:

Proverbs 12:25 "Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad."

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless" ~Mother Theresa

With such power within us, you would hope that we would always choose to use it for good, but we all have hurt others with our words, usually those closest to us.  So today I will be mindful of the words that I use.  I want to use my words to lift others and to leave them with a good impression of what Christ might have said. I am choosing to use the power of my words for good!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Harsh words once given can never truly be taken back and they flavor the relationship forever. I've been disturbed by the language our youth use towards each other and towards us. The common thought now seems to be that they should say whatever they think, however they want to say it and yet that coarse, unkind language is taking them further from each other and from those who influence them to do good and further from us. It's distressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only people would learn the benefits of living by God's standards and not man's standards. I think this is particularly hard for the youth in today's society. They are so bombarded with conflicting views, it's hard to tell what is right and what is wrong. Luckily we have the scriptures to help them, if only they would read!

    ReplyDelete