Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Works of Abraham

Day twenty-six

It seems that my family, and many of my friends, are facing some challenges that require some serious faith.  January has been a trying month and has been both spiritually and emotionally draining.  My prayers this morning included a plea to the Lord to strengthen my family and friend's faith, to give us opportunities to be spiritually fed that would help us with our challenges and to help us find the lessons to learn.

My scripture study would be in Sections 132-133 today.  Verse 32 in Section 132 would catch my eye.

132:32 - "Go ye, therefore, and do the works of Abraham; enter ye into my law and ye shall be saved."

What are the works of Abraham?  If you follow the footnotes it leads you to the Topical Guide heading Good Works.  I needed something more specific so I continued my search.  Romans Chapter 4 talks about Abraham so I started there.

Romans 4:3 "...Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."

Romans 4:18 "Who against hope believed in hope..."

Romans 4:19  "And being not weak in faith..."

Romans 4:20 "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God:"

Romans 4:21  "And being fully persuaded..."

These verses coupled with the stories in the Old Testament show us that Abraham received the covenants and commandments of God in faith and righteousness.  He is a great example of how to behave to receive exaltation.  I understand why the Lord would tell us do go and do the works of Abraham.

The Lord has once again given me an opportunity to see how the words in the scriptures apply to me personally and the situations I find myself in.  I need to be more like Abraham and trust in the Lord.  I am very grateful for a gentle reminder from a loving God! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dawn. Once again your studies are along the same as mine.

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete