Friday, January 28, 2011

Being Quickened

Day twenty-eight

It's Friday!!  It is a busy day, but it means that tomorrow my family will get to spend some time together and we get to sleep in!  I definitely need to recharge, it's been a rough week.  So in my prayers I thanked the Lord for the guidance He has given me this week, for the opportunities to serve the youth, and I asked that he might lift some of my burdens.

Today's scripture study is in Section 137-138.  What got me going today was found in 138:29:

"And as I wondered, my eyes were opened, and my understanding quickened..."

What does it mean to have your understanding quickened?

D&C 76:12 - "By the power of the Spirit our eyes were opened and our understandings were enlightened, so as to see and understand the things of God--"

The ability to see things through spiritual eyes to increase our understanding.  We have been taught that to really understand the scriptures and all it's doctrines and covenants we need to invite the Spirit to be with us.  If the origin of something is spiritual, then spiritual eyes are needed to understand it. 

After I typed that last line I had a thought, our origins are of a spiritual nature, I am a thing of God, so does that mean to really understand each other we need to look through spiritual eyes?  Absolutely! In order for us to connect spiritually we need divine help.  We cannot really know a person until we have looked at them the way the Lord does. 

What understanding could we gain if we took the time to see the spiritual side of someone? 

For me I think it would help me to be less judgmental, to be more patient, and more willing to forgive.  I also think that it would cause me to love a person more.  I think this is the kind of love that the Savior has commanded us to show to one another.  I think I would be less inclined to hurt their feelings and be more mindful of their needs.  I think I would understand their importance to the Father and the Savior and appreciate them more.

I really enjoyed my understanding being quickened today.  Sometimes I just need a different perspective, especially during the rough times and the Lord has blessed me with that today.  I am so grateful for His ability to see me through spiritual eyes and guide me through this life.  I hope that I can do the same for those that are in my life too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment