Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Following the Pattern

Day twelve

Today has been super busy, as I knew it would be, but also a good learning experience.  I started my day with a prayer, adding a special request for the Lord to be with me as I finalized the details of an activity I am in charge of for the youth and their families in my church.  I asked for the ability to discern those things that were really important from those that appeared important, but really wouldn't help me reach my goal.  I sometimes have a problem letting go!

Scripture study came next in Sections 94-97. The first two verses in Section 94 started my mind on the path of 'wait, I can't go any further until I understand how this relates to me.'  I figured it must be important because I couldn't let go. I must really need this!

94:1 talks about the commandment to "commence a work of laying out and preparing a beginning and foundation of the city of the stake of Zion...beginning at my house."

Now, I am not building an entire city, but I am working on a project that has to do with the Lord. I was starting to see where this could go.  So what would verse two have in store for me?

94:2 - "And behold, it must be done according to the pattern which I have given unto you."

The word pattern stood out to me.  What is the pattern of the Lord?  I was soon on a hunt to track down the pattern.  How could I follow the pattern if I didn't know what it was?

D&C 52:14 I learned that the Lord gives us a pattern in all things, that "ye may not be deceived."  If we follow the pattern we are protected from Satan.

D&C 115:14-16 Says if we don't follow the pattern the Lord gives us, he will reject what we are doing, if we do follow the pattern, then he will accept it.

This was great, but where was I to find the pattern?  I admit I was getting a little annoyed that the pattern wasn't spelled out for me. What is wrong with me?  Annoyed that I needed to work for an answer.  Good grief I can be so dense sometimes!  Where was my faith that it would all work out?  (Another rethink yourself moment!)

I went back to the scriptures a little more humble and searched through my scripture journal too, and what do you know, I started to find the answers.  In my journal, in my notes on Section 81, I found this:  The Lord's Way (Reveal-Prepare-Practice).  The Reveal part of my project had been given through prayer and church leaders. I was in the Prepare stage. 

Section 95:4 helped me with this.  "...the preparation wherewith I design...that I may pour out my Spirit upon all flesh-"   Sweet!  This is how I would discern the important from the unimportant. I would ask myself if it would invite the Spirit to be poured out.

I put my new found knowledge into Practice and the details seemed to fall into place. I would say that I actually saved time by searching the scriptures a little longer, instead of trying to decide what to drop and what to keep on my own.  (Another good lesson I need to remember!)

And then, to top it off, I started to think about applying these things to my everyday activities.  Would I change the things I did during the day if I stopped to think about inviting the Spirit?  Would I listen more carefully for revelation?  Would I be more apt to take action on the promptings?

So many lessons to learn in one day!  How grateful I am for these lessons; because of what I learned today, I was able to keep things in perspective and receive blessings.  What more could I ask for?!



  

3 comments:

  1. I can learn a lot from you. Keep writing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda. I really appreciate your support. We'll see if I can keep it going.

    ReplyDelete