Thursday, January 13, 2011

Be Careful What You Ask For

Day thirteen

Last night, as I was reflecting on the events of the day, and thinking about what was to come tomorrow, I started to think about what I might pray for in my morning prayers.  I don't think I always put enough thought into what to pray for.  I came up with a few suggestions and then went to bed.

When I woke up this morning I was feeling good about the forethought I had put into what I would pray for and so I knelt and asked the Lord for the following blessings:  Please let me be more Christlike in my behavior with all those that I come in contact with.  Please give me the opportunity to use my strengths for good, and please help me to recognize my weaknesses.  That's right, I wanted to recognize my weaknesses!  What was I thinking? I imagine every one who reads this post thinking to themselves, "Is she CRAZY?"

After the words came out of my mouth, I knew that I better be prepared for what was to come.  I am not always so happy about having my weaknesses pointed out and here I was asking the Lord to do it.  This would take an attitude change on my part: Don't be offended by someone pointing out your faults!

So nervously I began my scripture study in Section 98-100. The Lord wasted no time, he got right to the point with the very first verse in Section 98.  The First verse! This did not bode well for me.  The old adage, 'be careful what you ask for' popped into my head.  I had asked for it and apparently He was happy to oblige.

In the first three verses there was plenty to work on: 
- fear not (I don't know how many times I've wanted to kick myself in the behind because I didn't do  something out of fear)
- let your heart be comforted (I'm pretty sure this means in ALL things)
- rejoice evermore (Again, in ALL things, even afflictions)
- in everything give thanks (Even during the hard times)
- wait patiently (Anyone who knows me can tell you I'm not a patient person)
- know your prayers have been heard (He's been teaching me a lot about this lately)
- and my personal favorite, understand that all things you have been afflicted with are for you good (ugh, I always need to look on the bright side)

Wait, was that a little attitude in those comments?  This was going to be hard!  And it did get harder, Section 98 is filled with lessons on how to treat your enemies (turn the other cheek), forgiveness (as oft as they repent), retaliation & revenge (don't do it), and turning things over to the Lord ("And I the Lord will fight their battles").  All of this in one section and I had two more to go!

Section 99 has some good thoughts on the Law of Representation.  There is an awesome power to the words, "And who receiveth you receiveth me...", but if you remember from a previous post, 'With great power, comes great responsibility' (Uncle Ben from Spider-man)

Surely the Lord would give me a reprieve in Section 100.  My list of things to work on was getting quite long!  I was feeling pretty safe until verses 5-7 which talk about missionary work.

verse 5: lift up your voices, speak the thoughts that I shall put in your hearts.

verse 7: How to declare God's message:  in my (the Lord's) name; in solemnity of heart; in the spirit of meekness.

I was feeling a little overwhelmed by my inadequacies.  Then I came to verse 16, "For I will raise up unto myself a pure people, that will serve me in righteousness."

The footnote on the word "pure" says Peculiar people; purity.  This made me smile, I knew what a peculiar people really meant, "One's very own, exclusive, or special" (Bible Dictionary).  It makes me feel good to know that the Lord sees me that way, even with my inadequacies.  Besides, the verse says "raise up" which implies it happens over time. 

I think I got more than I bargained for with my prayer request today.  Maybe I put too much thought into it!  However, the fact that the Lord gave me verse 16 in Section 100 after pointing out all my issues, really helped me see that He loves me.  What a great example of correction followed with love.  Thank you Lord for all you've done for me today!




 

3 comments:

  1. I finally found your blog & was so intrigued I went back & read it from the beginning, then saved some of my favorites to refer back to later. This is great stuff! Thanks for sharing so the rest of us can benefit from your perspective. (At the end of the year, you should publish this; I have no doubt it would be a very popular book. Which might also help with that bill-paying 'problem'!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it. I really appreciate the positive feedback I am getting. Who knew that the rantings of a crazy women would be worth reading! I'm not sure about the publishing a book out of it though. We will have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book could be an intriguing idea. Don't underestimate yourself. I am really enjoying your blog. You're making me think every day.

    ReplyDelete