Friday, January 14, 2011

Making a Plan

Day fourteen

After my scripture study yesterday and the creation of my list of weaknesses, finding something to pray about this morning was not hard.  I had decided that I would choose a few items from the list to focus on each day.  So I asked the Lord to help me choose two areas I needed to work on and to help me create a plan to improve in those areas. I figured He knows me better than I know myself, so He would be the best person to ask, He would know what areas I would be most prepared to work on and succeed at.

I went to Section 101 for my scripture study today to look for inspiration about making a plan.  There was plenty to learn! A little background to this section is helpful.  This revelation is coming at a time when the Saints in Missouri have been run out of Independence and are across the river in Clay County.  They are wondering why the persecution is happening and what they are supposed to do next.    

In verse 2 the Lord explains: "I, the Lord, have suffered the affliction to come upon them...in consequence of their transgressions."

v 4 "Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried..."

v 5 "For all those who will not endure chastening, but deny me, cannot be sanctified."

How many of us bring afflictions upon ourselves?  I know I am guilty of that.

How many of us understand the thought that we need to be chastened and tried to help us overcome our transgressions?  I can't say that I fully understand this concept of needing to be chastened and tried, it's more like I accept it, and maybe even reluctantly at that!

How many of us are look forward to the chance to endure chastening?  Honestly, the enduring part is hard, I prefer the rejoicing part after I have endured.

Step One of the plan:  Have the proper attitude about working on my weaknesses.

v 3 "Yet I will own them, and they shall be mine in that day when I shall come to make up my jewels."

Step Two:  Remember He still loves me, even with my weaknesses and that everything He does is to help me become His 'jewel'.

v 6 This verse lists some of the transgressions of the Saints: jarrings, contentions, envyings, strifes, and lustful and covetous desires.

You would think that the transgressions would have been what we deem 'serious sins' for the amount of persecution the Saints went through.  It was the sins we think of as 'less serious' that led them to the condition they were in.

Step Three:  Recognize the importance of overcoming even my 'less serious' weaknesses.

v 16 "...be still and know that I am God."

Step Four:  Really pay attention to what I am learning and remember where it comes from.

v 36 "...fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full."

Step Five:  First area to work on, Fear Not.  To help me with this I would need to keep the proper perspective on where to find my joy.  Plan:  Whenever I am feeling fearful I will say to myself "Find the joy, find the joy"!  I really like positive self-talk.  One down!

v 38 "...seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience ye may possess your souls..."

Step Six:  Second area to work on, Patience.  To help me with this I would need to seek the face of the Lord always.  Plan:  When I am feeling impatient I will say to myself," Where is the Lord in this situation?  What would He do?"  Two down!!

I have a plan!  Thankfully, it was created with some divine inspiration so I know that I'm on the right track.  Now it was time to put it into play and see what changes it would bring.  Today is Friday and that means lots of errands which would include driving, shopping, waiting in line, dealing with people, and the list goes on and on... This would be a good test for my plan!  I will have to share my experiences in another post.  Wish me luck and lots of prayers!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment