Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm so Glad I did That

Day eleven

This morning I had one of those "I'm so glad I did that" moments.  I cherish these moments in my life, because, to be honest, they just don't happen often enough!  Or maybe they do and I just don't recognize them, but that's a thought for another day.

For years now my family has designated one night a week (usually Mondays) as family night.  We have played games, performed service, worked on projects and learned about the gospel on many of these nights.  As the boys grew older we all agreed that it would be beneficial to all of us if we took turns preparing the lessons and teaching.  I am of the belief that Christ doesn't underestimate our capacity, we shouldn't underestimate our children's capacity. 

Last night it was my oldest son's turn and he chose to teach a lesson based on D&C 84:64-73.  He did a great job. We took turns reading the verses, we had a good discussion, and we all had the opportunity to share some of the other verses in that section that we found interesting.  After that, we watched a DVD with uplifting messages in it.  I wanted to say, "And it was good." in an epic voice just to let my family know how much I enjoyed spending time with them.  Combined with family prayer, it was the perfect end to my day!

This morning when I said my prayers, I included a special thank you to the Lord for my family and our desire to learn about the gospel together, to teach each other.  I asked him to always keep that desire in our hearts and to remind me often of the importance of my family.  In consideration of my week, I asked him to please help me find a balance in all the things I do.

I think the saying goes, "Ask and ye shall receive."  The Lord is just too good to me.  My scripture study again led me to some interesting insights regarding my requests.

Today I was in Sections 90-93.  My thoughts today are focused on Section 93 verses 38-53.  These verses are counsel given to some of the Church leaders of that time, but I think that all parents could benefit from the message in these verses.  In basic terms the message is:  Parents don't blow it!

The Lord starts out in verse 38 with some great insight:  "Every spirit of man was innocent in the beginning; and God having redeemed man from the fall, men became again, in their infant state, innocent before God."  (We all start our lives in an innocent state)

v. 39 - "And that wicked one cometh and taketh away light and truth, through disobedience, from the children of men, and because of the tradition of their fathers."  (Satan comes along and tries to get us to disobey and will even use our family to get us to disobey.  I really don't like that guy!)

v. 40 - "But I have commanded you to bring up your children in light and truth."

The 'tradition of their fathers' statement made me stop and think:  Do I want to be held accountable for the traditions that stole from the light in my children?  That would be a big fat NO!  The reality is, I will be held accountable and that is when I had my "I'm so glad I did that" moment.  Our tradition of family night is helping me fulfill  the commandment to bring up my children in light and truth.  Yeah for team Clark on that one!

The rest of the verses are filled with counsel given to specific Church leaders, including the Prophet Joseph Smith.  This counsel includes:

v. 43 - "...set in order your own house..."
v. 44 - "...keep the commandments concerning children"
v. 48 - "Your family must needs repent and forsake some things, and give more earnest heed unto your sayings..."
v. 49 - "Pray always.."
v50 - "...see that they are more diligent and concerned at home..."

This is great counsel for any home to live by, and it seems so much more important in our time.  How different would the world be if all families took the time to follow this counsel?  A poor home life is at the top of the list of issues facing children in this generation.  The disintegration of the family is an epidemic, and it is clear who is behind this. Satan has been working on this for a long time.

I was touched that the brethren would include this revelation in the Doctrine and Covenants, even though they are rebuked personally, by name.  I appreciate their humility, because of it, I have the opportunity to learn from them. I don't know if I would be comfortable letting the world know the things I am doing wrong.

I am grateful for my "I'm so glad I did that" moment and for the opportunity to reflect on the ways my family can improve our protection against Satan.  I give a great big shout out to the leaders of the Church for promoting Family Home Evening in their General Conference talks.  They are great at reminding us of the counsel found in Section 93. With that in mind. here's to hoping for a spiritually stronger family and more of those "I'm so glad I did that" moments! 

3 comments:

  1. your blog is so thought provoking. thanks for sharing. I can see where sometimes I've been good and 'done that' and some things I've failed at. I wonder if it's too late?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to think that it's never too late. Otherwise, I am doomed! Besides, it a "grace to grace" process, we aren't supposed to get it all at once. We might feel the pressure to know it all at once, but the Lord is patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He better be because I'm a bit slow on the ball sometimes!

    ReplyDelete