Sunday, November 27, 2011

Self-worth

Day three hundred thirty-two

We had an interesting discussion on motivation last night at my house.  There was a list of 20 tips to motivate people that we read through.  It was interesting, but I wanted to know how someone could motivate themselves.  What makes people do the things or not do the things they know they should?  This was a much harder topic to discuss because not everyone is motivated by the same thing.  For some self-motivation comes easy and for others it is a daily battle, why is that?

There was no definitive answer to these questions, but it was interesting to think about what really motivates each of us.  I have been blessed with the ability to motivate myself.  My family thinks I am too motivated sometimes, which may be true, but I don't know how to be any other way.  And after last night I am really grateful for this inner drive that I have.  I think the Lord knew I would need it to get through this life and be the person He needs me to be.  So I thanked Him for this wonderful gift and for the opportunities He gives me each day to be motivated to do what is right. It is nice to know that He blesses us with all the things we need to get through this life! 

Esther 1

In this chapter the Persian king called Ahasuerus, has been throwing a huge party as a display of his wealth and power.  He is looking for support from the leaders of the surrounding areas to attack the Grecian army.  There was a lot of schmoozing going on at this party, along with a large amount of drinking. 

After seven days of partying the king calls for his wife, Vashti, to be brought to him.  His guests had seen all the beauty of the kingdom and now he wanted everyone to see Vashti, his treasure, his crowning jewel, as it were.  He wanted to parade her in front of these men.

But Queen Vashti refuses to come at the king's command (v 12).   Why would she refuse?

Alexander Whyte, a nineteenth century Scottish pastor wrote, "The sacred writer makes us respect Queen Vashti amid all her disgusting surroundings ...The brave queen refused to obey it [the King's command]. Her beauty was her own and her husband’s; it was not for open show among hundreds of half drunk men."

Good for her! Queen Vashti shows she is not going to be degraded in this way!  She has some self-worth!  I can't help but admire her for this decision.  She sacrificed all the glamour and wealth of being a queen for the sake of personal dignity.  She would not be a sexual pawn, to be shown off as a piece of property or to be leered at by drunken men. She was willing to sacrifice her crown for the sake of her character.

Vashti's story got me thinking of all the young girls and women that are being inundated with media telling them to compromise their self-worth.  What is their reputation worth? How far are they willing to go in order to win praise and attention?  Are they sacrificing their character on the altar of acceptance?

It breaks my heart to see them following the latest immodest trends and baring far more than is necessary in hopes of getting the attention of the opposite sex.  They follow the lifestyles of those that society has deemed as "stars" in hopes of getting the same attention.  It's too bad that more of them don’t choose to be like Queen Vashti and less like Lady Gaga.

I worry that we are raising a generation that isn't willing to sacrifice for their own dignity.  Acceptance seems to be more important than doing what is right.  There are few who are willing to be that example anymore.  It has become more about personal gratification at whatever the cost. 

Think about the last time you did the right thing and paid the price for it? Do you remember what it cost you? A relationship? A job? A passing grade?  These are hard things to give up, they are painful and stay with us.  It takes a strong character to make such sacrifices and to live with the consequences. 

Take heart from this story, it is worth it. It cost Queen Vashti everything, but her actions were recorded and passed on for generations to help teach us this lesson.  Her fame has gone on to surpass any attention that we could get from compromising in our own time.  Her example has affected millions of lives throughout many generations.  You can't get much bigger than that.

I know that my view on this topic is not a popular one. There is plenty of opposition to tell people that my views are old fashioned, out of date, and even considered religious fanaticism in some circles.  I could cave to the pressure and sit quietly, holding my tongue, watching the world go by, but I don't think I could live with myself if I did that.  I share a trait with Queen Vashti, I know that I have self-worth and I hope to be an example to those around me that character matters. My words and actions may not change millions of lives, but I know that they might change at least one persons life, and that makes the sacrifice of my "coolness factor" totally worth it. 


2 comments:

  1. I want to copy that and publish it as my own. But I won't because that would be evil! 8-D I think you should submit it to Meridian Magazine or the New Era or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! I'm glad you decided not to do evil! I will have to think about sending it in.

    ReplyDelete