Monday, October 31, 2011

More Time

Day three hundred

I am often hesitant to post information that might be too personal to share.  I don't find it necessary that everyone know all the details of my life.  Yesterday I struggled with the decision of whether or not to share my experience with my husband.  The promptings were there, but I was fearful of giving too much information.  It took me a while to work up the courage to trust the promptings and write it.

Today I am grateful that I chose to be brave and share it. I received some positive feedback from that post and I learned a little more about trusting the Spirit.  My prayer this morning was filled with gratitude for learning experiences like this one and for a Father who knows me so well that He keeps pushing me to be better.  Thanks for not giving up on me!

2 Kings 20

Have you ever found yourself saying, "I wish I had more time!"  There just isn't enough time in the day or week to get everything we need to get done. Time is a precious commodity that there just never seems to be enough of! Have you ever thought about going to the Lord and saying, "Lord I need more time." 

Well in chapter 20 that is exactly what king Hezekiah does.  He is told that he needs to set his house in order because he is going to die.  Wow! How would you respond and what would you have to change? Upon hearing the news of impending death Hezekiah turns to prayer and tear-filled pleas to the Lord to give him more time.  God hears him and grants him his wish, Hezekiah is given 15 more years to live.

What would you do if you were given more time? How would you divide your time?  More work, play, family, worship, or free time? Do you think that you might stop and evaluate the purpose of your activities during this time?  So much to think about!

Hezekiah's words after he was healed from his sickness are found in Isaiah 38.  There he talks about praising, celebrating, and singing to God.  He was going to dedicate his life to God.  Unfortunately, this doesn't last long.  It is interesting that Hezekiah asks God to give him more time, but he doesn't seek His advice on how he should use it.

It would be nice to sit and daydream about what we would do with more time, but the reality of our situation is that we are all going to have to give an account for what we have done with the time God has given us. I am not sure that asking for more time is appropriate for all of us, instead we should be asking ourselves, What am I doing with the time that I already have? 

At the end of chapter 20 we learn that Hezekiah does not use his gift of time wisely.  He misses opportunities, he becomes prideful, and he raises an evil son.  He will learn that his actions during this time will lead to the conquering of the people and that even his sons will be made servants.  From the perspective of eternity you can only wonder if Hezekiah felt like – I should have died when I had the chance.

There are a few things I needed to be reminded of in this chapter:

Be grateful for the time we have been given
Only the Lord knows when our time is up
The Lord hears and answers our prayers
Seek the Lord's advice in planning my time
Live like every moment counts
and Be careful what you ask for!

I would like to end with this poem:

Spending Time With God

You have some time alone my friend, a time alone you can spend,
A time of quiet contemplation, alone with the God of your salvation.
Time between just the two of you, to speak of things you need to do,
Things in life that must be done, where you need to lean on the Son

You are never alone anyway, as God is with you throughout the day,
Christ is there if you need to talk, and goes with you when you walk.
You can talk with God anytime, to share what may be on your mind,
Even talk to Him about tomorrow, sharing both your joy and sorrow.

When you come to plan your day, God will guide you along the way,
Even before you begin your task, He knows what your heart will ask.
Use the time to remember too, the things that God has done for you,
When you knew not what to do, God would always see you through.

For nobody truly cares for you, in the way which God and Jesus do.
Jesus Christ shall intercede for us, when in Him we place our trust,
With God the Father Jesus will sit, as Christ becomes our advocate.
As believers call upon the Father, for God and Christ it is no bother.

God calls us to the Throne of Grace, so that we can seek His face,
All are welcomed to the Throne, who know Christ as their very own.
So when you get some time alone, seek The Lord upon His Throne,
And you will find the time you spend, with God alone will never end.

Bob Gotti

May every minute of your day count!

No comments:

Post a Comment