Saturday, August 27, 2011

Revelation: Ready to Listen? Part 1

Day two hundred thirty

There are high and low moments in my life, just like everyone has. It is through these moments that I am learning what an amazing gift the gospel is to have in your life, especially in the low moments. It is through the gospel that I weather the lows with any amount of grace.  The knowledge that my Father in Heaven loves me, that my Savior atoned for me, and that the Spirit is with me helps me stay afloat when I feel like I'm drowning in worries or problems.  It gives me strength and allows me the option of turning whatever is pulling me down over to the Lord.  My prayer is filled with gratitude for this blessing in my life and the comfort that it brings me.  What an amazing God we have!

1 Samuel 3:1-21
This is one of those chapters that you have probably read several times in your lifetime.  In this chapter Samuel learns to recognize the Lord's voice.  Three times during the night the Lord calls and Samuel thinks that it is Eli calling him. Samuel replys to each request with "Here am I" and goes to Eli to see what he wants.  On the third time, Eli realizes that the Lord is calling Samuel and gives him the following advice on how to reply, "Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth."

The Lord comes and calls again to Samuel, but his time Samuel uses Eli's advice and the Lord leaves him with a message (v 10).  Samuel shares the message with Eli whose reaction is stunning considering what is going to happen to his family, "It is the Lord: let him do what seemeth him good" (v 18).  And with this encounter begins Samuel's personal growth in his relationship with God to the point that "all Israel knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the Lord."

I have been studying personal revelation lately in an attempt to get a better grip on how it works and how to increase revelation in my own life.  As I read the story of Samuel I started to see the Lord teaching us about personal revelation. 

The Approach to Personal Revelation 
Verse 1 - Does it mean anything that we are told that Samuel is a child when all this begins?  There is something special about a child's capacity for faith and their willingness to be taught.  Jesus loves this about little children.  So much so, that he taught the adults to be more like them (Matt 18:3-4; 19:14)! 

To be effective in our approach to personal revelation we must be as a little child; humble, willing, and filled with faith.  

Also in verse 1 we learn that 'Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli'.   Samuel was actively seeking and learning about the Lord.  And he had someone there to help him along the way. 

How many times have you asked the Lord to reveal something to you, but you haven't really been seeking and learning more about Him?  I have been guilty of this many times!  Why we think the Lord should just give us an answer without any work on our part astounds me.  The gospel requires action on our part, there is nothing stagnant about it.  We are asked to seek, search, find, ask, knock, etc.  These all require action.  It makes sense then that seeking revelation requires action too!

As for Samuel receiving help from Eli, the Lord will put the people and opportunities in our lives that we need to improve our relationship with Him.  This is a great reminder that who we surround ourselves with can have a huge impact on our lives.  If we are seeking to be around those that love the Lord and are actively seeking to be closer to Him, then we are more likely to do the same.  Choose your friends wisely!

Preparation for Revelation
Verses 2-3 - Samuel is getting ready to go to sleep in these verses.  He is "laid down".  He is still and quiet.  He has no distractions, "his eyes begin to wax dim, that he could not see". 

This is the area I think I need to work on the most.  When I stopped to reflect on this thought I realized that the Lord usually plants His thoughts in my heart and head while I am laying in bed before I get to sleep.  It is probably the only time of the day when I am completely still, quiet, and least distracted!  I see room for improvement here.  What more could He reveal to me if I would take the time to prepare myself to receive it?  Am I holding myself back?  Sadly, I think the answer is yes. 

So much information in just 3 verses!  So much work for me to do to improve my ability to receive revelation!  There is room for improvement in both my approach and my preparation.  Today I promise myself that I will stop holding myself back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment