Sunday, August 21, 2011

Humble, Hardworking, and Hands on

Day two hundred twenty-six

I've been thinking a lot about all the things the Lord asks us to do.  There are the basics like say our prayers, read the scriptures, go to Church, love one another, but then there are things that are specific for us.  These are the things that go along with the talents and gifts we have been given, or are the experiences necessary for our personal growth and preparation for a  task that we are well suited for.  I have been pondering this because I am learning to see these unique moments for what they are.  I find myself in places at the right time, having the skills and knowledge necessary to fit the circumstances.  After the experience, I look back at moments in my life that have prepared me for just this situation, and I can see the Lord's hand in it.  I am grateful for a Father that knows me so well and for the closeness that I feel to Him when I have these moments.  I am grateful that I can be an instrument in His hands and bring His love to those around me.  I hope that I will always be able to be where He needs me to be.  

Ruth 2
In this chapter we pick up the story of Ruth in the town of Beth-lehem. She and her mother-in-law, Naomi, have successfully travelled to the town and now are in need of some food.  They are poor, so Ruth decides to go to the fields and pick up the grain that the workers leave behind.  There are some positive characteristics that are shown by this action: 

She is humble (v 2) 
How many of us would not go out to a field and pick up the left overs because it was too embarrassing or we thought it beneath us?  I can think of many times when I did not want to do something because I was worried about what other people would think.  How many times has the Lord put a blessing in front of me and I didn't take it because it seemed beneath me?  Probably too many.  Ruth reminds me that to show grace during the difficult times I must be humble.

She is hardworking (v 17)  Ruth gleaned until the evening and after all the work to pick the grain up, she beat it out!  Not only was she willing to work, but she worked hard.  She gave her very best to the task. 

There is a line in the movie Return to Me about work that I love.  The main character looks down at her grandfather working and asks if he would like some help.  His reply is perfect, he says, "No, I am blessed with work."  I remember the first time I heard that line, I was so impressed with that statement.  What a great attitude and insight, to see the blessing in work.  I have used that line many times since I first heard it, it always helps me keep things in perspective when I am not so happy with the work that I need to do!  Ruth is a great example of being blessed with work.

Boaz
So far I have focused on Ruth, who is poor, but another person is introduced in this chapter that gives us an opportunity to see how the other side should behave.  His name is Boaz.  He owns the land that Ruth is gleaning from.  He is a man who is blessed to have much at that time and his behavior in this chapter is a great example of how a person of means should act in times of need.

He is Hands on
Our introduction to Boaz is with his greeting to his workers in the field.  He greets them with, "The Lord be with you" and they answered, "The Lord bless thee."  This gracious greeting between Boaz and his servants shows a pleasant man, who is among his people and treating them with respect and kindness. 

What difference would it make in your day if everyone you came in contact with, both rich and poor, treated you with respect and kindness?  What would it do for others if you always treated them with respect and kindness?  When people are pleasant to me it makes my day so much better.  I imagine it would be the same for them if I returned the favor.  Everyone deserves a little respect and kindness.

Not only does Boaz treat his servants well, he also gives us an example of caring for those that are less fortunate.  He tells Ruth that she is to glean in his field only (v 8), he lets her now that she will be safe there (v 9), he lets her know that she is welcome to the water when she needs it, and he even offers her a meal (v 14).  He goes out of his way to make sure that she is taken care of by telling the reapers to let more grain fall than usual so she has plenty (v 15-16).

There was a time in our history when people would take care of each other like this.  If a traveller came to your door seeking something you would try to accommodate them as best you could.  Those times seem to have gone by the wayside.  I don't know exactly what caused the demise of such behavior, but my best guess would be fear and abuse.  It is difficult to keep giving when you think that someone is taking advantage of you or you fear for your safety.  I am guilty of both of these thoughts.  I think I need to be more like Boaz, he is hands on, he is involved all the way to the lowest level of command.  I like that.  Maybe if I was more hands on I would know the people better and then I would have less fear and concern for being taken advantage of.  I heard a quote once that I liked: 

"The best way to get to know someone is to serve them." ~Unknown

Boaz shows us that this is true.

There are times in our lives when we will find ourselves on either side of these circumstances.  Ruth shows us how to be gracious even when we are struggling and Boaz shows us how to give graciously to those in need.  Wherever we are in life we have great examples to follow.  We need to be humble, hardworking, and hands on!

No comments:

Post a Comment