Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday

Day one hundred and seven

Last night around 9:30 pm we realized that one of the hoses on the water heater had burst.  There was nothing we could do to repair it last night so we shut the water off and went to bed.  So this morning my prayer was focused on asking the Lord to please bless us that we might be able to fix the plumbing without losing the Spirit that is with us on the Sabbath.  We have experience with plumbing and it usually doesn't go as smooth as you hope and frustration sets in.  Once that frustration sets in, the whole mood of the day can be trying.  So I am seeking some divine help to assist in keeping our attitudes in check today!

 Palm Sunday
I love this time of year because as Easter approaches Christians all over the world celebrate the resurrection of Christ.  The Christian world starts this celebration with the recognition of Palm Sunday, which is today.  This is the day of the triumphal entry of Christ into the city of Jerusalem.  As a seminary teacher this was the beginning lesson that set the tone for the study of the last week of Christ's life and I wanted it to be great.  I wanted to keep the  Savior in the hearts and minds of my students.  Now I want to keep the Savior in my own heart and mind this week. So I am taking a break from Exodus to go back and study the last week of the Savior's life. Here are some thoughts from the lesson I taught about Palm Sunday:

As I describe what was going on in Jerusalem on that day try to picture it in your mind, put yourself there.

All Jerusalem is in an uproar. It is the season of the Passover, and everywhere in the city thousands of travelers arrive, lambs and pigeons for offerings are being sold, and sacrificial coins clatter in the coffers of those who have perverted the stewardship of caring for Israel.  As you walk around gathering the items you need for the Passover you keep hearing the same phrase, the “Prophet of Galilee.” The common people and the Pharisees are asking the same question: “What think ye, that he will not come to the feast [of the Passover]?” ( John 11:56 .)

You go about your day not realizing that this commemoration of God’s blessing to ancient Israel would be the last authorized Passover—the killing of paschal lambs after this year would be apostasy. You begin to wonder where this "Prophet of Galilee" might be.  He is receiving an anointing under Mary’s hand in the quiet of Simon’s house at Bethany. He is preparing to enter Jerusalem.

There is an excitement in the city, Jesus has been seen approaching.  Suddenly, the doors open and you see Jesus riding in on a donkey.  The excitement of the crowd cannot be contained, they start laying their garments down and placing palm branches before Him on the ground. They start shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hasanna in the highest."

Can you feel the excitement? In your mental picture where are you standing? Are you up front so you can get the best view? What would you have said or done as He passed by?

I would hope that I would be up front with my palm branch shouting Hosanna. Although I was not there when Christ made His triumphal entry, I can still praise Him today.  Whenever I pray, sing hymns, keep my covenants, take the Sacrament, share my testimony, or use the blessings of the Atonement, I am praising Him.  As this week builds up to the Easter celebration I want to make sure that I keep the Savior in my thoughts. I am looking forward to following Him once again through the last week of His life and re-energizing my desire to be His disciple.  Oh how I love my Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment