Monday, April 18, 2011

Faith and a Fig Tree

Day one hundred and eight

There are some important people in my life that are facing some difficult challenges and trials in their lives.  They have decisions to make that will affect not only their future, but those that they love.  In these times, when they are seeking the strength and courage to do what they know to be right and to show the Lord that they trust Him, I believe that praying for them can help. And so with my ever growing list of people to pray for I knelt in prayer this morning on behalf of them and pleaded with the Lord to bless them with all that they need to do His will. To bless them with the comfort and peace that comes with knowing that you are doing what's right, regardless of the outcome.  And bless them that they might remember who they are and believe in themselves.

The Last Week of Christ's Life

One of the stories of the last week of Christ's life that I like is the cursing of the fig tree (Matt 21:18-22; Mark 11:12-14, 20-26; Luke 13"6-9). Remember as you read through these verses, that this is the Savior's last week.  Everything He does has a purpose, there is no time to waste, all things need to be prepared for the coming events, especially the people. In the Institute Manual it explains that there were at least four reasons why the cursing of the fig tree is important:
  1. To Demonstrate His Power to Destroy (If blessings are born of righteousness, their opposite, curses, must come from wickedness.  True gospel ministers seek always to bless, yet curses attend rejection of the message.)
  2. To Teach Faith to His Disciples (Jesus said, ‘Have faith in God’; and then He repeated some of His former assurances as to the power of faith, by which even mountains may be removed, should there be need of such miraculous accomplishment, and through which, indeed, any necessary thing may be done. The blighting of a tree was shown to be small in comparison with the greater possibilities of achievement through faith and prayer.)
  3. To Bear Witness of His Control over All Things (To the apostles the act was another and an indisputable proof of the Lord’s power over nature, His control of natural forces and all material things, His jurisdiction over life and death. He had healed multitudes; the wind and the waves had obeyed His words; on three occasions He had restored the dead to life; it was fitting that He should demonstrate His power to smite and to destroy)
  4. To Show the Fate of the Nation That Rejected Him (The religion of Israel had degenerated into an artificial religionism, which in pretentious show and empty profession outclassed the abominations of heathendom. The Judaic people would suffer for this.)
This was a teaching moment between Christ and his disciples. Suppose you had a friend who wanted you to help him/her to develop the kind of faith Jesus describes in these verses.  What advice would you give them and how would you present it?  What are you doing to cultivate your own faith?

How does one acquire faith in the first place?  Desire it (Alma 18:35; D&C 11:17, 43:12). Faith is a gift from God (1 Ne 10:17; D&C 46:13-14).

What must we do to cultivate faith? Be obedient, humble, seek diligently, ask for the gift of faith (John 7:17; 1 Ne 10:18-19; Alma 32:21-27).

What must we do after faith has been given?  Continue to nourish our faith by study, prayer and obedience (Mark 9:23-24; Rom 10:17; 2 Ne 31:20; Alma 32:28-37; Hel 10:4-5).

As the week progresses we will see that faith, even the faith of the Apostles, will be tested.  Those that had personally seen the miracles and were taught by the Savior would struggle with the events that will unfold.  It makes sense then, that in our own lives we may also struggle with our faith from time to time.  There is a quote that I like that helps me when I am struggling with faith:

"Faith isn't faith until it's all your holding on to." ~ Unknown

This week, as I am focusing on the Savior's last week, I want to take the opportunity to not only hold on to my faith, but to cultivate it, to nourish it and watch it grow.  I will continue to study the scriptures, say my prayers, attend my church meetings, but mostly I will be looking for the Lord in my life and sharing my feelings about Jesus with those around me. For me, this is the best way I can celebrate the Easter holiday.  What will you do to cultivate your faith this week?

2 comments:

  1. I cultivate my faith by reading your blog daily. I have found that the deliberate choice to read a faith and scripture based writing daily in addition to deliberately choosing to read my own personal scriptures has made me more alert to my own faith 'level' (for lack of a better word). Reading your blog challenges my mind and heart and makes me think all day long OR longer. Thanks for putting it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hope! When I first started my blog I wasn't sure what I would get out of the experience or if anyone else would get anything out of it. Over hundred posts later I have to say that I have grown so much from the studying I need to do before I write. I think you are right, the deliberate choice to be in the scriptures everyday has made a huge difference in my life also. And I also find myself thinking about the things that I have learned long after I have written them! It drives me crazy sometimes! But it's a good crazy.

    ReplyDelete