Saturday, November 17, 2012

Reaching Out

It's been a while since I've sat down and put my thoughts in a blog post.  Life has a way of keeping me busy, which is probably a good thing, since it keeps me out of trouble! I am truly blessed with work! Work at home, the bookstore, and especially with seminary.  I am surrounded by good people who inspire me everyday.  

This blog post is inspired by my seminary peeps.  They are seven young men and women who come to learn about the gospel for an hour and a half in the morning every other day.  They keep me on my toes and make me want to be a better teacher and example for them.  

Our area of study this year is the New Testament.  We are digging deep into the scriptures to learn more about how to be more like our Savior and to be the best disciples we can.  Recently the lesson was on being called to be fisher's of men.  A challenge was thrown out to my class that we would strive to have 100 missionary moments.  I don't know why it needs to be 100 moments, it just sounded like a good goal, and it is the number of fish beads that I had to help us keep track of our progress.

During the lesson we watched the following video:

  
I couldn't believe it! A member of the First Presidency giving us permission to use social media and electronics to share the gospel, it seemed like the perfect fit for a class full of teenagers!  My class accepted the challenge and so began the discussion on ways we could use social media to reach out to people.  

I chose to use my blog as a way to share the gospel.  I don't know how many people will find it useful, but if even one person finds something that brings them closer to God than it is a success.

I opened this post expressing my busyness (is that a real word?).  While thinking of what I wanted to share in this post I realized that I needed to dedicate more of my time to sharing the gospel.  It's great to be busy, but is what I am busy with more important than sharing the gospel?  

I came across this scripture while I was preparing one of my lessons:

"Wherefore, settle this in your hearts, that ye will do the things which I shall teach, and command you." JST Luke 14:28

Ouch! I seem to have my priorities mixed up.  It got me thinking that what I am busy with says a lot about where my heart is. Although the things I am keeping busy with are good, I needed a little redirection to help me remember that sharing the gospel is important too and this scripture and the class challenge have put me back on track.  

I am looking forward to hearing about all the missionary moments my class will have.  They have already begun sharing some of their stories in class and I am so impressed with their willingness to open their mouths and share their beliefs.  They are great examples to me!

There is no doubt in my mind that we can do this, 100 missionary moments for 8 disciples, is definitely doable!  It is on!!





  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment