Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Book Test

The Book Of Mormon

As a fan of books, I love the experience that comes when you find that perfect comfy spot, where the lighting is just right, the chair has the perfect coziness, the noise is minimal, and you lose yourself in an incredible world brought to you by the words on the pages. I'm sure Heaven will be filled with these perfect comfy spots.   

It takes a really good book to draw me into its world. I am one of those readers that can't stand to be disappointed by an ending that is too sugary sweet. Give me reality! I'm a big girl,  I can take it!  I hate when the beginning of a book is so filled with promise only to be undone by the inconsistencies in the story or the unbelievability of the events. Don't even get me started on the development of characters that seem to defy human nature.  

If the author wants me to give my time to read their book, they better plan on writing a book that keeps my attention and ultimately helps me see the world a little differently.  I love books that give me something to think about, that help me think outside the box, that give me pause to question what I am doing and can help me do it better.  I am filled with questions about all kinds of topics. If a book can help me answer some of those questions and give me insight then I am willing to give it a read.  Besides, everyone needs a perspective change every now and then! 

In order to prevent a time-wasting experience, I devised a system that seems to help me avoid the time wasting books and takes me straight to the books that enjoyably help me lose track of time.  It isn't foolproof, there have been a few authors that have made it under my radar, but for the most part it has been a success.

Here is the test: First, I read a few paragraphs on the first page.  Then, I go to the back of the book and read a little of the last page.  If the promise of what happens in between the first and the last pages seems stimulating, then it is worth the read. I know that there will be some people that think I spoil the story by reading from the last page; not true.  Rarely does the last page give away the complete plot of the book, instead it tends to be a teaser of what is to come.

This last Sunday at church the topic in sacrament meeting was a book. Not just any book, but the Book of Mormon. I have read this book, in fact, I am currently reading it with my family.  As I sat in the pew and my mind began to wonder (I have a short attention span), the thought popped into my head, would the Book of Mormon pass my book test? Well of course I had to try it out!

I started with the First Book Of Nephi chapter 1 verse 1:

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days."
  
From this one verse I get:

This book will include the personal story of this man Nephi.  I like true stories. 

He had good parents, which means that I might be able to glean some parenting tips from this book.  

There is a possibility that I could learn some life lessons as Nephi was taught somewhat in all the learning of his father.

Nephi suffered afflictions, I've suffered afflictions, maybe we have some common ground.  Maybe I can learn to deal with my afflictions through learning of his.

I am intrigued with the thought that Nephi thought of himself as highly favored of the Lord.  What does that entail?  Maybe I will find that I too am highly favored of the Lord.

Nephi will discuss his knowledge of the goodness of God and also the mysteries of God.  This would be the deal maker for me.  I could learn more about God and His mysteries, who could resist that!

So far so good.  The beginning has promise, but how would the ending fair?

Moroni 10:34:

"And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen."

The first thing that caught my attention is that it is no longer Nephi speaking, it is a man named Moroni. I would like to know how we get from Nephi to Moroni.

Moroni is talking of his death.  Maybe I could learn more about how to prepare for death, how to die well, and what happens after I die.

He believes he is going to paradise.  Where is paradise, what is it like, and what do you have to do to get there? These are things I have thought about before, it would be nice to learn more about them.   

Moroni talks of his spirit and body reuniting. He is talking about resurrection.  Having never been resurrected I find this topic fascinating, definitely worth reading to find out more about resurrection.

I find it interesting that he says "to meet you".  Will I someday meet the man Moroni? Does he truly believe that he will meet me?  How will we meet and why does he want to meet me?

Lastly, when Moroni uses the title 'the Eternal Judge' I get a sense that there will be some discussion about Judgement Day.  I am always up for learning more about how I will be judged, who will judge me, and what is expected of me.

I think the Book of Mormon definitely passes the book test! Look at all the topics that are discussed in just these two verses, imagine what would be in the rest of the book!

The truth is you don't have to imagine, you can read it for yourself. If you have never read the Book of Mormon from the first verse to the last verse you are missing out.  I know this because I have read it and each time I read it I learn something new. 

I will be honest with you, there are some parts of this book that will challenge you to finish it.  There is a joke in seminary about how many times Lehi and his family have been left in the wilderness because the reading gets a little challenging. The challenge comes not from trying to read the book, the words are not difficult, but from the desire you will have to really understand what it is saying to you. It is not always obvious what the writer is trying to tell you, sometimes the message is subtle and has to be sought after. Searching for those answers takes time and slows the pace of your reading. Diligence and patience are tools to use when reading the Book of Mormon.

Other times you will find it easy to liken the scriptures unto yourself and wishing that you could have been there to experience what the people are experiencing, like the events in 3 Nephi. There will be times when you will find it easier to relate to the people in the Book of Mormon. One thing that surprised me was the personal attachment I found with some of the people in the stories.  You can't help but feel the pain of Moroni as he watches his people destroy themselves and the loneliness he must have felt as he wandered trying to keep safe.  Or the frustration Nephi must have experienced as he faced the obnoxiousness of his siblings. (We have all been in those shoes!)

I know that there will be a few people who read this post and will say, "Hello Dawn, we know you and your enthusiasm for the scriptures, we are not anything like you."  You don't have to be a 'scripture geek', as I have come to be known, to get something out of the Book of Mormon.

I promise you that it doesn't matter who you are, there is truly something for everyone in the Book of Mormon.  Take the time to read it and to find those verses and stories that speak to you.  You will not be disappointed, you will not feel that you are wasting your time.  Instead, you will find a resource that brings you closer to God not only through the text, but through the process of reading it.  And that is truly the greatest blessing of the Book of Mormon.   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment