Monday, December 19, 2011

Wonderfully Small, Yet Blessed

Day three hundred fifty-three

I have had some health issues lately and it is quite annoying.  I don't do well with the whole rest thing.  I am a busy person, with lots to do, especially this time of year.  I get frustrated and begin to think, "What good could possibly come from me being sick?" But yesterday as I was resting, my husband took really good care of me.  He used the opportunity to serve me and in return I was able to express my gratitude to him.  We both had a moment to appreciate each other and show how much we love each other.  

I prayed to Heavenly Father about this experience.  I am grateful first of all for the fact that He has put such a wonderful man in my life.  A man who steps up and cooks and cleans without complaint when I can't. What a great blessing!  I also spent part of my prayer talking with God about how grateful I am for the ability to see something good come from being sick.  I have not always been able to discern these moments where God is teaching me in my weaknesses.  It is nice to see the positive instead of focusing on the negative.  I could get used to this!

Psalm 8

There are times when we tend to lose perspective about what is important in life and about where we’re going.  Sometimes we lose perspective when our troubles overwhelm us or after wonderful victories.  David does a wonderful job of keeping his perspective in life.

In this psalm he reminds us of the greatness of God (vv 1-3) and then, in comparison, the smallness of man (v 4).  When we truly begin to grasp just how BIG God is, it helps put us in our place.  We’re pretty small.  But as big as God is and as small as we are, it is amazing to think that God cares about us.  We have value because of God’s care for us. 

In comparison to the size of the universe or the age of the Earth, we seem so small and immature.  How powerless is man? The earth stirs in her sleep, and cities fall, the wind blows and ships are wrecked, the invisible germs crowd the air and science is baffled. If the clouds withhold their rain a famine ensues, if they drop too much, cities are carried away in the flood.  We cannot stop these things from happening, we are merely witnesses to these events. 

Even so, God cares for us. We may be small, but God gave man dominion over the His works (v 6).  There is a confidence, a trust, that He shows in man with that assignment.  Even in our smallness we have worth.

But the act that shows His true love for us is that He sent His Son to atone for our sins and to die for us. When we truly understand the sacrifice He made for us and the amount of love it must have taken for Him to witness what was happening to His Son, that should be enough for any man to want to shout:

"O Lord our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!" (v 9) 

Our God is pretty wonderful. If you think you are losing your perspective, stop and think on God’s greatness. It will soon become clear that we are wonderfully small, yet extremely blessed! What a great perspective to have in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment