Thursday, December 15, 2011

Morning Prayer

Day three hundred fifty

This is the time of year when everyone is supposed to be merry, but unfortunately there are people who are struggling instead.  Money issues, job issues, what seem like never ending issues all pop up at this time of year to try and steal the Christmas spirit. I prayed for those that are struggling with any of these issues today.  I asked the Lord to comfort them and to bless me with compassion, understanding, and love for them.  I want them to know that they are not forgotten, they are on my mind and in my heart.  I love them and more importantly He loves them.  Hopefully that knowledge will make their burdens seem lighter and they can find the joy in Christmas once again. 

Psalm 5
This psalm shows David coming to the Lord in the morning and receiving the strength and joy he needs to make it through the day against many adversaries. 

Give heed...consider...Hearken (vv 1-2): David longs for an audience with God. Can you picture him kneeling and with a sincere heart saying: “Lord, please listen to me!”? This is David inviting God to listen to his prayer.  I don't think I invite God to listen to my prayers enough, I just assume He is listening.  I bet He would really appreciate it if I extended an invitation instead.

I think the fact that David invites God to listen shows that he is completely focused on God.  When you invite someone, you take the time to think of them, to focus on them.  David definitely is focused on having a conversation with God. There doesn't seem to be any distraction, just David and God having a heart to heart. David prays as if God is standing there with him.  That's the best way to pray.  I found this quote about this topic:

“Very much of so-called prayer, both public and private, is not unto God. In order that a prayer should be really unto God, there must be a definite and conscious approach to God when we pray; we must have a definite and vivid realization that God is bending over us and listening as we pray.” (Torrey)

My voice you shall hear in the morning (v 3): David made it a point to pray in the morning. He did this because he wanted to honor God at the beginning of his day, and set the tone for an entire day dedicated unto God. Can you think of a better way to set the tone for your day?  I couldn't. 

In the morning I will direct it to you, and I will look up (v 3): David gives us what to do before and after prayer. Before we pray, we should direct our prayer. After we pray, we look up with expectancy to heaven, really believing that God will answer.

Give your morning to God. I know that some people aren’t really “morning people”, but I don’t think the point is that you get up at   It’s just about getting up a little earlier than you already do, whether it’s or

No comments:

Post a Comment