Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Finished the Work

Day one hundred thirty-eight

I was once again blessed to teach seminary this morning.  It is strange, but my day seems so much better when I start my day teaching the youth.  There is something about their energy and desire to learn about the scriptures that fills me up inside.  So my prayer was focused on the youth again.  I thanked the Lord for all the opportunities He gives me to be a part of their lives and to share my love of the gospel with them.  I thanked Him for giving me the opportunity to learn from the youth.  I asked Him to bless them for their obedience with the guidance of the Spirit throughout their day and to let them feel His love for them.  And I asked that the Spirit would be with me that I might be the teacher that they need me to be. 

Exodus 35-40

"And he reared up the court round about the tabernacle and the altar, and set up the hanging of the court gate. So Moses finished the work." (Exodus 40:33)

Knowing all that Moses has been through to reach this point, you almost want to cheer for him when you read this verse. His journey to reach this point has been difficult, filled with challenge after challenge, and more hostility than seems fair.  But he weathers it all in such a way that inspires all those that read of him.

We have watched Moses through the Book of Exodus grow into one of the most amazing biblical leaders ever.  Through his story we are blessed to see the Lord's way of developing leadership, from the characteristics the Lord looks for in a leader: honesty and integrity, humility, kindness and compassion, courage, justice and fairness; to the importance of work with a purpose, communications, team development and performance management. 

My own experience of reading the Book of Exodus has taught me a lot about myself, helping me recognize my strengths and my weaknesses as both a leader and as a disciple. This has been a little like a personal development seminar for me, each day being filled with useful information to better my life and the life of those around me.  And so I am happy that I can say that in regards to reading the Book of Exodus, "I finished the work."  Now it is time to put everything I learned into action!  

No comments:

Post a Comment