Thursday, April 21, 2011

Connection, Direction, Reflection

Day one hundred eleven

Last night on the radio I heard the song Lucy by a group called Skillet.  I have heard this song many times and knew that it was about a girl named Lucy who had died, the pain that her death caused, and how Christ helped the person get over the pain. When the song was over the radio announcer gave some details behind the lyrics and it became so much more.  The song is written from the experience of two teenagers who find themselves pregnant and decide that an abortion is the answer.  After the abortion they are filled with regret and deep pain. They realize they have made a mistake and turn to God to help them through it.  It is through their turning to God that they find comfort and hope.  I thought about all the times in my life when I have leaned on the Lord to help me get through the mistakes I have made.  So this morning my prayer was filled with gratitude for all the times the Lord has carried me and helped get me back on track. Gratitude for the Atonement and the possibility for forgiveness that it brings to each of us.  And gratitude for the love that I feel which brings peace, comfort, and hope into my life.  

The Last Week of Christ's Life

As I was going through my lessons from the New Testament I came across a handout that I had given my seminary class that discussed the parable of the vine found in John 15:1-8, it had three words on it Connection, Direction, and Reflection.  In the parable the vine represents Christ, the husbandman - Heavenly Father, the branches- us, the fruit - good works and God's love, and the withered branches - those that are disconnected from Christ.  What is the Connection?  The branches draw it's life from the vine and we must draw our life from Christ.  The Direction?  Pruning with a purpose, we must get rid of the things in our lives that draw us away from the healthy connection with Christ.  The Reflection of what?  God's love.  We must live our lives so that the character of Christ is in ourselves.

This is the day in the last week of Christ's life that He atoned for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane.  The three words Connection, Direction, and Reflection kept going through my head, did these words also apply to the Atonement?  It was definitely worth investigating.

The Connection
What is our connection to the Atonement?
Salvation"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation" (Heb 5:9) 
I cannot think of a more personal connection with Christ than the Atonement, every person from Adam to those in the future rely on this act for their salvation.  All mankind is connected to each other through Christ and the Atonement. 

Forgiveness: "Wherefore, beloved brethren, be reconciled unto him through the atonement of Christ, his Only Begotten Son..."  (Jacob 4:11)
The realization that the pain and agony he suffered was caused by the culmination of each person's sins, weaknesses, inadequacies, and illnesses, makes each of us accountable to Him. It is through the repentance process and the Atonement that the repentant sinner is forgiven and reconciled with God.

Love"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13)
To understand that his motivation for this selfless act was love for each of us, and that He willingly gave His life, only makes the connection stronger.

The Direction
What direction does the Atonement lead us to?

To receive the blessings of the Atonement a person must have faith in Jesus Christ, repent of his sins, receive the ordinances of salvation, and obey the commandments of God.

Faith:  Faith is confidence and trust in Jesus Christ. (Hab 2:4; Matt 9:22; Matt 21:21; Mark 11:22; 1 Cor 16:13)
Repent:  To turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life.  (Ezek 18:30; 2 Ne 2:21; 2 Ne 9:23; Mosiah 4:10)
Ordinances: Sacred, formal acts performed by the authority of the priesthood, such as: baptism, confirmation, ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood (for men), the temple endowment, and the marriage sealing. (D&C 84:20; 2 Ne 9:23-24; John 3:5; Acts 2:38)
Obey:  To carry out or fulfill the command, order, or instruction of. (Ex 19:5; Deut 30:20; 1 Sam 15:22; John 7:17; 1 Ne 17:3)

The Reflection
What do we reflect if we use the power of the Atonement?

To become as Christ is, we must also do the things He did. The Lord has said, "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."  (John 13:15)

Christ said these were the two greatest commandments:

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." (Matt 22:37)

"Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Matt 22:39)

These two commandments sound like a great place to start!

As we reflect on the Atonement this Easter season, it would seem appropriate that we would also take the time to evaluate our words and actions to ensure that they reflect the feelings we have for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Applying the Atonement to my life in three words: Connection, Direction, and Reflection, has been amazing.  I don't think I will ever think of these words in the same way again. I have always loved the story of the Atonement, it touches my heart to know that the Savior loves me so much. My act of love to Him will be to strive to be more like Him, to connect in a more personal way, to heed His advice and follow the direction He has placed before me, and to behave in a way that allows others to see His reflection in my countenance.  What will your act of love be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment